Zoodles with Beef Bolognese Recipe
Zoodles with Beef Bolognese
The Italian in our household makes a mean Bolognese sauce but it takes about 8 hours – too much prep time for a mid-week dinner!
This simple yet tasty alternative brings all of the flavours of your favourite Bolognese to the table and it does it in no time! We’ve also kept this recipe low carb by using zucchini noodles so it’s grain/gluten free which is great for those of you with dietary restrictions.
Makes 8 servings, 1 serving=125g zucchini and 1 cup sauce
- 6 medium zucchini netting 1000g of zucchini noodles
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried oregano (we have some fresh so used that instead)
- 1 tbsp dried basil (we have some fresh so used that instead) + a few extra leaves for garnish
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Spiralize your zucchini and set aside.
- Next, drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and then saute onion, celery, carrot and garlic (about 5 minutes).
- Once done, de-glaze the pan with the red wine vinegar and then add the beef. Cook beef thoroughly and drain excess liquid if there is any.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- For the zoodles, put 1 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the zoodles for about 1 to 2 minutes or until they reach the desired tenderness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now, portion out 125 grams of zoodles per plate and top with 2 cups of Bolognese sauce; garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!
Macronutrient Breakdown (per serving= grams zoodles and cup of sauce):
For more healthy, delicious recipes visit https://jmfitfood.com/recipes